Sunday, September 21, 2008

The world's longest weekend or "Look Mommy has lost her mind!"

So the kids got out of school nine days ago for your typical weekend and by Sunday afternoon more than 25% of Louisville was without power (see previous post). Because of this there was no school last week. So a regular weekend stretched into spring break. I should count myself lucky though because we had power except for 7 hours the day of the storm. Some people in my church just got it back or are still in the dark! Vicki O. and her family are still living like pioneers and they had four kids to entertain this week including a toddler. I would have lost my mind. I feel bad because one of their sons is in the same class as Reece and had I known they were powerless I would had let him join the boy-fest at my house. One more male means nothing here. Just one more person who doesn't put the seat down.

Saturday I went yard-saling (is that a word?) with my friend Suzanne. I go different places with different people. With my Larissa is is the newer neighborhoods and clothes for the kids, toys games, etc. With Suzanne we hit the old neighborhoods and look for projects, dig through the basements and garages for cool old "junk". So at the first estate sale we were unhappy to find that it was run by a company and not the family which always means higher prices. So we head for the garage and the basement. It was mainly overpriced stuff but I came away with: a gorgeous wool/mohair throw with the original tags from Scotland (I know they thought it was poly because they only wanted $6), a bowl that I broke before I got home ($2), a bunch of napkins and the jewel of my collection..........an antique porcelain enamelware male urinal new in the box. Yes you just read that correctly. It was the male version of a bedpan (they had that too but I passed and now regret it---it was new also) and you would never know what it was if it had not been in the box. It looks like a really nice white enamelware vase which is what it will be once I figure out how to attach it to a wall.
We hit a church sale a well. They were moving and needed to clear the building. It was a circa 1940's church so no cool stained glass or anything. I did get an antique sewing table that is solid oak and still has the original brass locks on all the drawers-dovetailed drawers. It was obviously handmade and sits low so it is a perfect desk for the kids to do their homework. I have to strip it and refinish it but no big deal. Also we always need folding chairs for fight night so I got ten of those and a huge old chalkboard on a stand that flips 360 degrees so you can use both sides. I am hoping Noah will stop drawing on the walls. I spent $40 there but I think I did pretty good.

We saw another yard sale (in this area they are yard sales NOT garage sales) and stopped. The guy had great junk but he thought it was all treasure and priced it as such but I did manage to snag a set of shoe forms used to make custom shoes back in the day. They have knobs on them so they will look great in my future mudroom as coat hooks. I also got an old wrought iron candle hurricane sconce but it is missing the glass so I have to find one that fits. $6 to that guy.

Scott then called and told me four hours was long enough because he had to go somewhere so that was the end. Stopped at the farmers market and picked up some heirloom tomatoes, apples and honeysticks for the kids--natural candy!

As you may have noticed my posts are long and sorta ramble. I have to describe everything. I can't just say "I went to a yard sale and got a desk." I have to say how old, condition, type, wood, etc. That is just the way I talk so it is the way I blog.

Now I must sleep because the kids go back to school tomorrow!!! Yippee!!!! I can grocery shop in peace!

1 comment:

Kayla Casos said...

haha don't worry about rambling! i love listening about your life- its so interesting. your writing style is very entertaining. keep up the good work!